Super Nutty Pesto
Get ready for summer with this twist on a traditional Italian pesto with 3 different nuts. Add some more healthy fats to your diet with a couple kinds of nuts in the creamy pesto. So great to have this on hand to use in a variety of dishes over a few days. I put it on a cauliflower crust pizza, used as a salad dressing on arugula and as a dip for veggies! Kept it interesting and none of it went to waste. You can be sure of that. :) Try it on eggs, pasta, smeared on salmon, or on a panini. Ideal for meal prep for about 2-3 days.
Pesto is a great use for that bumper crop of basil from your garden this summer. If you have more than you can use at once, then put finished pesto in ice cube trays. Once they're frozen place the cubes of frozen pesto in plastic bags or a sealed container to keep in the fridge.
You'll have pesto for a couple of months and you can just take out and thaw what you need when you want a little taste of summer!
Let me know what other creative uses you come up for it in the comments below.
Super Nutty Pesto
Yields 2 cups
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 6 cups basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Crush and peel the garlic. Juice the lemon into a blender and grate the cheese if needed.
- Measure all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Adjust ingredients according to your taste. You can add more oil if you would like a thinner, more pourable pesto. This recipe is fairly thick and good for spreading.
Keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days. Otherwise freeze in ice cube trays and then store in sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 months.